Sunday, October 12, 2008

Australian Idol: 5th Finals Week

Well at last it was Rock Night on Idol, the episode I was look forward to and especially this year because I figured that all the people who are left could knock over the challenge. Most of them, anyway, as I had my doubts about Vietnamese John Farnham. Even cooler was that the mentors this week were Tim and Kirk from Australia's second biggest ever rock band, INXS and if that isn't cool then I just don't know what is anymore. Which could be true I guess. I was interested to see how Kirk Pengilly would work with his ex-mother in law on the judging panel though. Trust Dicko to be wondering the same thing and somewhat inappropriately actually ask them in the middle of the show.

Luke came out first for a tear through of "Are You Gonna Go My Way?". His voice is as good as it always is, but his efforts at showmanship are still a bit self-conscious

Thanh got a "Touchdown!" call from Marcia last week, of all people. That's not much of a recommendation really, and this week they're still going on about his range. I can't see what the deal is with this guy. For a dude who's modelled himself after John Farnham, he was struggling to sing like Chester Bennington tonight. The guy has to go.

After impressing me last week, Sophie started out rather badly. Somewhere a bunch of people were undoubtedly screaming about the irony of a hot blond singing about anorexia, but that was no concern. I just wanted her to do the song well, and eventually she did. Hated the start though.

Teale still isn't doing much more than what he needs to do to get through. Again, he picked a song almost anyone at this level could sing, and again tried to hide his stagefright with a guitar. And dude, when bona fide rock superstars offer some advice as to how to lift your game, fucking take it. Don't leave Kirk fucking Pengilly sitting there looking like a dick after he's given you some advice you've totally ignored.

Wes is already a star and tonight was the proof. I wasn't sure I wanted him to do another U2 song, but I forgot about that as soon as he started. He ditched both the hat and the guitar this week, looking every bit the true rock frontman instead, then clinched it by whipping out a harmonica. Classic.

When I heard someone was doing Foo Fighters, I hardly expected it to be Prashani. I give huge kudos to this chick because she tests herself every week. She rocked "The Pretender" about as much as a pint-sized chick can rock it and still make it work, which was pretty well. I'd like to see her get further than this show because she's not shy of a risk.

Chrislyn has been excellent every week but this week she totally dropped the ball. Hugely. Coming on after Wes was going to be hard, but that's no excuse. Not only did she choose a song that wasn't rock, she pretty much failed at rocking it up. Unfortunately for Chrislyn, her size is as much an opponent as the other contestants and fickle audiences will only give her so many chances.

Mark rocked hard as well, as to be expected. Depending on how he handles the rest of the competition, this year's crown should be between him and Wes. Everyone else is just amateur hour next to them.

I've given up trying to predict who'll go this time, although I've been right the last two weeks. I'd like to see Thanh or Teale go because they just don't deserve to be around. One tries too hard and the other doesn't try hard enough. Tomorrow night will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment